Sunday, June 9, 2013

Taking it Ezay

Things are looking up! Today was a gorgeous warm summer day, we headed off to Chamkar to do some shopping, first stop at our new Cafe Perks for a real coffee. How good is that - first one in months.

As we approached Chamkar we were taken by the striking sight of thousands of new red prayer flags at the monastery on the hill (we still haven't visited, but I can't wait to go now).


The first grocery store I looked in had a huge bunch of brocolli on display - I was so excited which says a lot about how long we've been here. Brocolli is the boy's favourite green vegetable and I am so happy to be able to serve it up to them - I bought four large heads.

We went for lunch at a favourite restaurant for momos served with ezay, a chilli sauce. They also had lassis - an Indian yoghurt drink - a special advertised in the window for summer. So good!

Cheese and cabbage momos for lunch, Bob had been craving them for days!


The markets were vibrant with fruit and vegetables today - I bought a huge variety - such a change from the cold months when we had first arrived. I was on a mission to buy the ingredients for ezay, the chilli salsa that is made in different ways, sometimes more of  a paste, sometimes wickedly hot and sometimes more of a spicy salad.

Two kg of carrots please!

A vegetable I've never seen before called 'Crow's Beaks' - I asked for one to try.

 



Here is the recipe for a salad version:

Ezay
 
Ingredients
1 small red onion
2 tomatoes finely diced
2 large green chillies, finely diced (I chose the extra large ones that are less hot)
half a bunch of coriander, finely chopped
1 large ball of datsi cheese (substitute a piece of crumbly fetta cheese)
1 tsp salt (or more to taste, it should be salty)
 
Five ezay ingredients
 
 
 
Method
Throw the first 4 ingredients in a small salad bowl. Crumble the cheese over and add salt to taste. Stir and you are ready to go!
 
I was also able to buy lettuce at the markets so for dinner we had roasted pumpkin and potatoes with lettuce and big spoonfuls of ezay over the top. That is fusion for you!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment