Friday, June 28, 2013

Kewa datsi

By far my favourite Bhutanese food is kewa datsi (potatoes and cheese) and I crave it often. My favourite way to eat it is with puri (deep fried flat bread) to mop up the cheesy sauce. I also like to dip tea momos (like steamed chinese bread) in a bowl of kewa datsi, but these are harder to find.

A particularly delicious meal of kewa datsi and puris at Hotel Choekerling, Trongsa.


And this is the dish I see myself making in years to come, for warmth and comfort and in those moments I feel nostalgic for Bhutan and wish it was as simple to sit down to this nourishing meal as popping out to a nearby restaurant.

There are different ways to make kewa datsi that I have seen, but this is how I watched the students at a class picnic make it outside on an open fire, and it works well.



Kewa Datsi
Serves 4 with rice or bread

1 onion, sliced thinly
1 large tomato, sliced into 16ths
Approx 4 large or 8 smaller potatoes, peeled and sliced into very thin rounds
2 large green or red chillies sliced (more or less to suit your preference)
1 ball datsi cheese, or substitute 150 g crumbly feta cheese
80 g processed cheese
Salt to taste
1 tbs veg oil


Colourful ingredients.



In a medium sized saucepan heat oil and fry onions until softened.
Add tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add potatoes, chillies and 1 cup of water and cover with lid.
Simmer for 10 mins until potatoes soften.
Add crumbled cheeses and stir through pot.


Our dinner cooking on our gas burner stove. I added some cauliflower to the mix tonight and it went well.


Add salt to taste.
Lower heat and cook, covered for another five minutes til cheese has melted to create a sauce.
Top up water if it starts to get low. You want to make a fairly loose sauce to serve with potatoes.
Serve and enjoy.

In Bhutan a simple dahl is usually made to accompany kewa datsi, and making this in my pressure cooker is a breeze. I love my pressure cooker so much I want to find a way to bring it home at the end of the year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment